Freelance San Francisco-based photographer Dave Glass documented the urban renewal effort in San Francisco’s area of Western Addition that, in the second half of the 1970’s, involved the relocation of many 19th century victorian buildings to their new permanent locations. A relocated house could be purchased from the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency for $1 (one dollar) plus relocation and restoration costs.
The Chêne Chapelle (“chapel oak”), located in Allouville-Bellefosse in Seine-Maritime, France.
The oak tree is between 800 and 1,200 years old. It is 15m high and its base has a circumference of 16m. Its hollow trunk hosts two chapels, which were built there in 1669: Notre Dame de la Paix (“Our Lady of Peace”) and the Chambre de l’Ermite (“Hermit’s room”). A spiral staircase around the trunk provides access to the chapels. It still stands and can be seen in modern photographs here.